Sign up at to win prizes!

Dispose of your items properly to avoid an unlimited fine.

Fly-tipping is the illegal dumping of items.  If your waste is fly-tipped, by you or by someone else on your behalf, you could face a £400 fixed penalty notice or an unlimited fine.

 If you leave items:

  • on the floor of communal bin areas
  • outside closed Household Waste Recycling Centres and charity shops
  • beside litter bins and recycling banks









How YOU can prevent fly-tipping

Everyone has a legal 'duty of care' to ensure their household or business waste is disposed of correctly.

YOU can be prosecuted even if YOUR waste is fly-tipped by someone else on your behalf. 


If it's YOUR waste, it's YOUR responsibility


 Always use a registered waste carrier to collect your rubbish.

Find a registered waste carrier in your area or to check a carrier is licensed on the Environment Agency's website .

 Or call 03708 506 506


 How YOU can report Fly-Tipping

All fly-tipping you see should be reported to the local council for investigation and safe removal.  If you spot fly-tipping in Northamptonshire, please note its location and click on the correct council listed below to report it on line.  

Corby Borough Council

Daventry District Council

East Northamptonshire Council

Kettering Borough Council

Northampton Borough Council

South Northamptonshire Council

Borough Council of Wellingborough



Let’s S.C.R.A.P Fly-Tipping

Suspect all waste carriers. Don't let them take your rubbish until they provide proof of registration. Note their vehicle's registration plate.

Check that a waste carrier is registered on the Environment Agency's website.

Refuse any unexpected offers to have your rubbish taken away.

Ask how your rubbish will be disposed of - seek evidence of this.

Paperwork must be obtained: a proper invoice, waste transfer note or receipt, including a description of the waste being removed and the waste carrier’s contact details.


 What else YOU can do with YOUR household waste?


                    Use your kerbside bin collection

Visit your district or borough council website to find out about your local bin collections and what you can put in your bins.



Use Household Waste Recycling Centres

Find out when your nearest Household Waste Recycling Centre is open, what you can take there and how to get a permit to bring a van or trailer.


Use your local council’s bulky waste collection service

Your district or borough council can collect bulky items directly from your house – contact them for details.


Sell or donate your unwanted items

Use social media groups or websites like eBay, Gumtreeand Freecycle. Only donate items to charity shops when they're open.



Is YOUR business disposing of its waste correctly?


Every business that produces waste in the UK has a legal ‘duty of care’ to:

  • manage it’s waste correctly until it's recycled or disposed of
  • always use a registered waste carrier or register to carry it’s own waste
  • Keep the correct paperwork for at least two years.

A lack of understanding will not protect you in court.


Get help complying with the law:

Print Page

Let's Scrap Fly-tipping
Right Stuff, Right Bin
Feed Your Caddy